One of my goals is to share my DIY failures as well as my DIY successes! This just happens to be both! I have wanted my fireplace to stand out, so I painted the wall white and did pattern on the wall with a paint marker.
I loved the pattern, but my husband didn’t! He said it looked like a spider web. My sister thought the same.
My husband said he would rather have shiplap on the wall, so I headed to Home Depot and got the supplies!
I ended up demolishing a level of the tiered mantle to bring everything down a little. I basically just got a hammer and carefully pulled it apart. Demo is pretty fun! The clean up after is not.
For the mantle, I cut one board the length of the existing mantle (to be the top piece), then I cut 2 pieces at 11 3/4 to be the side pieces. I nailed those to the end of the long board. Then I marked and cut a long board to be the face. That way there aren’t any seams toward the front.
Then I started cutting the shiplap boards to size. I started at the top because it is way more visible than the bottom pieces. I cut it a little shorter than the wall so there would be room for the trim on the sides.
I nailed them to the wall and once it was all up I filled the nail holes with caulk. After the caulk was dry, I painted and we finally screwed the mantle down into the old one!